Tuesday, December 7, 2010

more...PROCESS

The illustration below began with a lack of ideas. One night last summer, I felt the itch to create something but I couldn't seem to move beyond staring at a blank page. So in a creatively-blocked act of desperation, I hopped on google images and typed in random words; "angry monkey"..."old man"...whatever popped in my head. I collected about 20 different images, threw them into a desktop folder and began creating a collage in photoshop. INSTANT ILLUSTRATION IDEA!

I redrew my collage in sketchbook pro, then into photoshop for coloring and textures. Here's a bit of my process below. I strongly recommend this collage trick if your creative brain juices are ever running dry.

7 comments:

Junko Miyakoshi said...

Thanks for sharing your process!
Very inspiring :) I must try!

Cheers,
Junko

Lubomir said...

I must try too :)

Dude, most excellent and much to my delight!

Brandon said...

great idea and great illo.

Andrew Ross said...

I feel his anguish! Nice one! I still expect one day to check your blog and see an illo with that rattle snake and couger...

Munchanka said...

So that's who runs Fox News.

Great idea, man. Thanks for sharing.

Freckles said...

Wacky stuff!! So different, I love it!!

Vi-Dieu said...

Hah. I love this.