Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The other night I got REALLY scared for a second...

The peephole on the outside of my apartment door has a weird crack in the middle. It was like that when we moved in and it looks like someone hit it with a screw driver. Needless to say, it severely obscures the view of whatever is outside the door.


The actual view that's obscured is the neighbor's door directly opposite mine and their lovely "Happy Valentine's Day" heart.


The story goes: A couple of nights ago at about two in the morning, I was turning off the lights getting ready for bed. I had just finished watching David Lynch's Wild at Heart for the first time so I was in a bit of a surreal Lynch-induced haze. I thought I heard a noise outside so I looked out the peephole. The magical combination of Lynch brain, the peephole crack, the sickly flickering fluorescent glow in the hallway and the not-usually-there Valentine's Day heart--created an instant irrational image of an old woman in a babushka staring at me.

Fear does many things so quickly-- paralyzation, electric chills up my neck, burning nerves down my arms, clammy hands, pounding heart and a few stomach flips. Then luckily in this case, the aftermath of basking in the relief that there isn't an evil gypsy woman outside my door. Although it did take a very long time to fall asleep that night.

8 comments:

stephen said...

this happened to me. except it was my neighbor's friends. and they kept pounding on the door and aggressively yelling at me to let them in, thinking I was my neighbor. thinking they were burglars, I went to the kitchen and got a big knife and yelled that I was calling the cops. then I chased them down the stairs. then we all had a good laugh.

Emily said...

was she hungarian?

Chris said...

God, that must be scary..."paralyzation, electric chills up my neck, burning nerves down my arms, clammy hands, pounding heart and a few stomach flips"...
Could you imagine experiencing that at work, maybe you are working late, alone and someone sneaks up behind you and makes a vampire noise... maybe someone with coffee breath?

Wayne B. Medina said...

haha although creepy this is a fantastic story =)

Laura Jane said...

everything's been weird ever since that movie. it's lynch's fault.

Munchanka said...

Awesome, I know the feeling! I haven't been following your blog for a while, and seeing all the new art this year is totally inspiring! I looove the pig under the seaside bluffs. Great stuff man! Mas, mas!

Highflyin' V said...

Haha. Lynchian indeed.

CaptainChants said...

I feel bad for laughing... But this certainly had me cracking up... I'm sorry.

(Teeheee!)